Is Illinois State a Rivalry

8-Time MVC Regular Season Champions
5-Time MVC Tournament Champions
10 NCAA Tournament Appearances
3 Sweet 16 Appearances
19 Post-Season appearances

Moderators: The Sheriff, barkeep1967, SiuCubFan8, SalukiWorld, AirDawg86

Do you consider Illinois State to be a rival?

Yes, it's an in-state game that was first played in 1915, has 149 games played between the teams, their both on US 51, they both compete for the same recruits/students, and it's a competitive series (78-71 SIU Lead).
30%
Yes, but only because we're both in the MVC.
9%
Yes for both reasons above.
39%
No, Illinois State isn't a rivalry
12%
No, but it should be/once was.
9%

Total votes : 33

Is Illinois State a Rivalry

Postby SIUManSquad » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Curious to see what some of our fans think, people I talk to from different eras of Saluki athletics seem to have different opinions on this. Obviously they aren't the same level as the rivalry we used to have with Creighton but do you consider this a rivalry?
SIUManSquad
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

Re: Is Illinois State a Rivalry

Postby GoSIU88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:12 pm

This is ridiculous. Of course, they're a rival
GoSIU88
Tony Young Poster
Tony Young Poster

Postby GoSIU88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:26 pm

GoSIU88 wrote:This is ridiculous. Of course, they're a rival

And besides that, I hate 'em.
GoSIU88
Tony Young Poster
Tony Young Poster

Postby OBD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:39 pm

It's kinda tough to have a serious rival when you haven't been relevant for the better part of a decade.
Carbondale (car-bon-da-lay): The southern-most suburb of Chicago. The farthest-point away that you can get from Mom and Dad and still pay in-state tuition.
OBD
Tony Young Poster
Tony Young Poster

Postby Wudizzle » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:42 pm

OBD wrote:It's kinda tough to have a serious rival when you haven't been relevant for the better part of a decade.

In this case, it's OK, as ISU hasn't been relevant for far longer.
Wudizzle
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

Postby gammasaluki » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:14 pm

I was born in Carbondale and I have been watching this red menace plague come into our house ever since I could walk. It is difficult to say which one I dislike the most, the Turds or Evil-Ville. I suppose it is whichever one is nearer at the time. These have always been the worst for me. I cannot begin to say where the hatred begins and the rivalry ends, but it is definitely a rivalry.

Other Valley teams really don't strike up the same chord. Oh, I really had a genuine revulsion for Creighton, but they have moved on and so have I. For some reason, I just never had the same level of feelings about the Shockers, Indiana State or Northern Iowa. Never got really worked up about Missouri State either. The other conference members are about the same with me, except for higher revulsion for Bradley than the otherrs, I suppose.
gammasaluki
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby GoSIU88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:16 pm

OBD wrote:It's kinda tough to have a serious rival when you haven't been relevant for the better part of a decade.

The Turds haven't been to the NCAA since 1999.
GoSIU88
Tony Young Poster
Tony Young Poster

Postby GoSIU88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:18 pm

GoSIU88 wrote:

The Turds haven't been to the NCAA since 1999.

Correction: 1998
GoSIU88
Tony Young Poster
Tony Young Poster

Postby SiuCubFan8 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Yes, because my wife's a red bird.
You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia.
SiuCubFan8
Site Admin

Postby #1 fan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:14 pm

I would say our five biggest rivals (not in order) are:
Illinois State
Evansville
SEMO
Murray State
SLU

Missouri State (mainly because of Barry) is making a push. Really wish we weren't an RPI killer so we could play Creighton every year. That would count as a Power 5 game and would have more appeal than playing Minnesota or Arkansas. If we are going to get our asses handed to us, we might as well renew the rivalry.
#1 fan
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby SiuCubFan8 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:34 pm

#1 fan wrote:I would say our five biggest rivals (not in order) are:
Illinois State
Evansville
SEMO
Murray State
SLU

Missouri State (mainly because of Barry) is making a push. Really wish we weren't an RPI killer so we could play Creighton every year. That would count as a Power 5 game and would have more appeal than playing Minnesota or Arkansas. If we are going to get our asses handed to us, we might as well renew the rivalry.

I'd love to see us play CU every year but you are correct unless we are relevant it won't happen.
You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia.
SiuCubFan8
Site Admin

Postby AirDawg86 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:20 pm

GoSIU88 wrote:This is ridiculous. Of course, they're a rival

+1
MAKE SIU BASKETBALL GREAT AGAIN! FIRE BARRY HINSON!
AirDawg86
Jamaal Tatum Poster
Jamaal Tatum Poster

Postby AirDawg86 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Dropping my daughter back off at her UK dorm this afternoon met an ISURed alum while waiting for the elevator. Had a brief discussion about the state of the State of Illinois' affairs and lack of funding for the state schools and basketball. He also said he sort of misses Saluki basketball being good and the games with ISUred being really competitive and meaningful. It was his opinion that the experiment with Hinson had run its course and SIU should move on as soon as possible to help themselves and the Valley. He m He said Hinson besides being an 'somewhat below-average' coach, Hinson was a clown at SWMoState and has been even more clownish and embarrassing at SIU. Didn't argue the point.
MAKE SIU BASKETBALL GREAT AGAIN! FIRE BARRY HINSON!
AirDawg86
Jamaal Tatum Poster
Jamaal Tatum Poster

Postby airflowrc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
AirDawg86 wrote:Dropping my daughter back off at her UK dorm this afternoon met an ISURed alum while waiting for the elevator. Had a brief discussion about the state of the State of Illinois' affairs and lack of funding for the state schools and basketball. He also said he sort of misses Saluki basketball being good and the games with ISUred being really competitive and meaningful. It was his opinion that the experiment with Hinson had run its course and SIU should move on as soon as possible to help themselves and the Valley. He m He said Hinson besides being an 'somewhat below-average' coach, Hinson was a clown at SWMoState and has been even more clownish and embarrassing at SIU. Didn't argue the point.
airflowrc
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby Oledawg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:16 am

#1 fan wrote:I would say our five biggest rivals (not in order) are:
Illinois State
Evansville
SEMO
Murray State
SLU

i agree with this list. I would place SEMO at the bottom and probably SLU and Illinois State at top because we seem to battle them for the same recruits more. I think Evansville was an even bigger rival before joining the valley.
Oledawg
Tony Young Poster
Tony Young Poster

Next

Return to Men's Basketball