Tyler Smithpeters

Discuss future Salukis here!

Moderators: uncledawgpound, fisher08, SiuCubFan8

Re: Tyler Smithpeters

Postby rockin' dawg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Ummm....I think people were dissing KC Goodwin, not Tyler Smithpeters. Unless you are referring to some earlier posts.
rockin' dawg
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby Saluki3Peat95 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 am

First time post:
I've watched a lot of southern Illinois high school basketball this season. Thus far, the only DI signee has been Andrew Drone of Gallatin County. He is a first class young man but will be in over his head at Rice next year. I would hope they would redshirt him and attempt to tone his body and work on his agility. It seems like he has put on weight since the season has started, and not in a good way. Was in attendance for both of Gallatin County's games against Harrisburg and although he got his points, he struggled with the physical play and strength of the Bulldogs' Dakota Upchurch. Granted Upchurch is a football signee with the Salukis, but if Drone had a hard time scoring against a 6'6 football guy, what is he going to do against 6'9 to 7'0 guys who are basketball players. One thing that really strikes me as a negative about Drone is the players in his conference are not intimidated by him. He blocks a lot of shots, as a 7'0 kid playing Class A ball should, but opposing teams have no fear in attacking the basket with Drone in the game. The Greater Egyptian Conference is probably the worst basketball conference in the deep south, so if kids from Thompsonville and Pope County aren't scared of Drone, what kind of impact will he have at the DI level. He possesses a completely different skill set than Vienna's Brett Thompson and is nowhere near as athletic as Nick Evans but each of those had much more DI ability than Drone. I see him ending up at John A. Logan and playing for Kyle Smithpeters (whom he is very close to) for the 2014-15 season.
Harrisburg's Tyler Smithpeters is a DI player. He may not be an impact player as a freshman but could be a rotation guy, if not a starter before his junior season at several MVC and OVC schools. The comparisons here to ISU's Odum are very accurate and to throw out an old school name, TJ Wheeler but more athletic. Smithpeters will only get better as he gains physical strength. He has matured greatly on the court in both decision making and attitude and at this point would be a steal. It is obvious he has benefited from having a father who is one of the best high school coaches in the south, one older brother who played DI basketball and is a college head coach, two other brothers who also played at the college level, and a former DI player on Harrisburg's staff. I will go out on a limb and say that the only way Southern gets him is if he has no other solid offers from other schools - and that is if Southern does extend an offer. I think Rodney Watson has a much better chance of snatching him up than Barry Hinson at this point, seeing how he coached both Kyle Smithpeters and Bulldog assistant Eric Griffin while both were at SIU.
Someone mentioned the kid from Egyptian, Devontae Price. He is a DI freakish athlete but at 6'1, has no position at the DI level. He does not have the skills right now to be a DI point guard - his high school position - and is extremely undersized to play shooting guard. He is nowhere near the caliber of player Josh Tabb was at the same stage or Meridian's Isiah Jones before he left for prep school. I predict Shawnee Community College or a DII or NAIA school would be a much better fit right out of high school.
The two underclassmen for Harrisburg that have been mentioned in this thread, Eli Taborn-Scott and Bahari Amaya, are names to remember as they could develop into big time talents. Taborn-Scott is an athletic 6'4 lefty (a Justin Bocot type body) with a knack for scoring around the basket and blocking shots. In two meetings against the 7'0 Drone, Taborn-Scott blocked three of his shots. He will have to work on extending his range and his ballhandling to be a solid MVC type small forward. Taborn-Scott doesn't play facing the basket very much, but with shooters like Smithpeters, Lewis University bound Capel Henshaw, and Illinois baseball signee Ryne Roper on the perimeter, there is not much need for him to. The kid has received serious varsity minutes since he was a freshman and had great games in the 2011 sectional final against Murphysboro and last year's supersectional against Breese Central and Brandon Book. Look for Taborn-Scott to have a monster senior year as he gets to step out the shadows of the upperclassmen.
Amaya could be a gem. He looks to be around 6'5 and could grow another two or three inches. Add that to the way he shoots the ball from the perimeter and he could develop into a major DI player. You can look at his body and tell he is nowhere near filling out and he could be really be something to watch when he does. He, Smithpeters, and Taborn-Scott are all very effortless and fluid with the ball. Judging from the teams I've seen this year, Amaya would be the best player on about 90% of the teams in southern Illinois but is the sixth man on a a loaded Harrisburg team. Look for the Bulldogs to reload next year with him and Taborn-Scott as the stars of the team.
Other underclassmen to keep an eye on as they develop are Carbondale 6'2 sophomore Robbie Dosier, Trico 6'5 sophomore Chase Rednour, Nashville 6'6 freshman Royce Newman, Woodlawn 6'2 freshman Ross Owens. I'm not saying these are guys SIU should start recruiting right now or that they will end up being DI players but they showed the potential to be prospects at the college level when they are seniors.
Saluki3Peat95
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

Postby Saluki87 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:19 am

rockin' dawg wrote:Ummm....I think people were dissing KC Goodwin, not Tyler Smithpeters. Unless you are referring to some earlier posts.

Yes rockin dawg, my comments were directed toward the extremely low stats of 5'9 point guard KC Goodwin on a mediocre high school team. Issue: Why not take a 6'4 shooter/passer/handler/floor general/smart/9th best point guard in IL/ from 30 mins away? Regardless of geography, and being a local he is a good get for any OVC/MVC. If he was the 9th best pg in the state and played in metro-east or Chicago area we would've offered him months ago....
Saluki87
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby Salukiholic » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 am

RickJ33 wrote:Tyler had 14pts 10 rebounds to go along with 10 assists as the Bulldogs clinched their 4th regional title in a row

:shock: Let me understand this Tyler got a triple double in twenty minutes and we have not offered yet. hmmmm
Salukiholic
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

Postby SalukiIllini » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:39 pm

I thought the rumor is we have offered? Or maybe Hinson is waiting to see who's leaving and hasn't made it official yet. I'd wait until season end to see what happens with TS. I'd almost bet his brother Kyle will be push him to SIU.
SalukiIllini
Kent Williams Poster
Kent Williams Poster

Postby RickJ33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Salukiholic wrote:
RickJ33 wrote:Tyler had 14pts 10 rebounds to go along with 10 assists as the Bulldogs clinched their 4th regional title in a row

:shock: Let me understand this Tyler got a triple double in twenty minutes and we have not offered yet. hmmmm

I honestly bet it was less then 20 minutes... Kid has a triple double in the regional championship game and played less then 20 minutes and is rated the 9th best pg in the state and lives 40 miles from the arena that has KBS running the show.. If smithpeters was in the metro or anywhere that college coaches would see him on a regular basis. He would have numerous offers. But bigger schools coaches go to games in more popular areas so they can see multiple players on recruiting trips not just one player from southern illinois
RickJ33
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby power » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 pm

If u wanna see the triple double and how quick it came watch the taping I posted.. I'll post it again: www.ACGSPORTS.ORG > I believe you need to go to the archives now to watch it. but it may still be under live stream. It was a quick dismantling. Starters out fast.
power
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

Postby Saluki Dave » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:35 pm

RickJ33 wrote:
Salukiholic wrote:

I honestly bet it was less then 20 minutes... Kid has a triple double in the regional championship game and played less then 20 minutes and is rated the 9th best pg in the state and lives 40 miles from the arena that has KBS running the show.. If smithpeters was in the metro or anywhere that college coaches would see him on a regular basis. He would have numerous offers. But bigger schools coaches go to games in more popular areas so they can see multiple players on recruiting trips not just one player from southern illinois

You know, I get all this, and would be glad to have Smithpeters if he is as advertised here. The fact that we haven't offered him yet makes me suspicious. Neither Barry nor any of his assistants just fell off the turnip truck. The know what a D-1 player looks like, and I suspect would be all over a kid with the right skills. Now they could be wrong in an assessment of Smithpeters, or they could be waiting the situation out for strategic reasons, or they might know (having been told) that there's no chance of signing him. I don't know, and I suspect no one here does either. Having seen thusfar how Barry coaches and manages his athletes, I'm prepared to defer to his judgement. :bored:
"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." ~A Lincoln~
Saluki Dave
Matt Shaw Poster
Matt Shaw Poster

Postby Saluki87 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Saluki Dave wrote:
RickJ33 wrote:
Salukiholic wrote:

You know, I get all this, and would be glad to have Smithpeters if he is as advertised here. The fact that we haven't offered him yet makes me suspicious. Neither Barry nor any of his assistants just fell off the turnip truck. The know what a D-1 player looks like, and I suspect would be all over a kid with the right skills. Now they could be wrong in an assessment of Smithpeters, or they could be waiting the situation out for strategic reasons, or they might know (having been told) that there's no chance of signing him. I don't know, and I suspect no one here does either. Having seen thusfar how Barry coaches and manages his athletes, I'm prepared to defer to his judgement. :bored:

I get what you're saying RickJ, but this kid has other offers. I hear that Smithpeters has other OVC MVC offers, but doesn't publicize it like most do. I guess the fact that we don't have any scholly's to give, but Hinson goes to his games can maybe be a sign of a late offer after the season. Also, this PG gets a dunk about every game, and blocks shots from what I hear. Kid has hops to go with everything else...just not sure what else Hinson would ask for in a PG or two guard?...
Saluki87
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby appleknocker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Saluki0483 wrote:O'Rear didn't put up stellar numbers either, but he was still a swing and a miss for SIU. It's not always in the numbers.

My "insider information" at that time was that it came down to taking O'Rear or Carlton Fay. I think Fay was the better choice. So it probably wasn't a miss.

Now one could ask, "why not both?" The other two signees were Brandon Wood and Nick Evans, with Justin Bocot prop 48ing. We were losing Tatum and Young, so we needed guards. And Evans was bigger than O'Rear and was pretty athletic. Turned out to be quite the head-case.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." Calvin
appleknocker
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby Carrpediem » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Heard Smithpeters speaks very politely about SIU, but.... Perhaps we don't offer to avoid the embarrassment of being denied.
4 sentences that lead to wisdom: I'm sorry. I was wrong. I need help. I don't know.
(Louise Penny)
Carrpediem
Randal Falker Poster
Randal Falker Poster

Postby HarrisburgSaluki » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

How do you know that HInson doesn't want to offer?

Making an offer public to a high school kid when you have none to give doesn't send the greatest message to your current team. Now, he may know that players are leaving so he continues to recruit Tyler. Things will get very interesting the week or two after the season is over.

The program is in complete disarray and a shell of it's former self, yet people are questioning the abilities of the 9th best point guard in the state of Illinois according to a respected site. It's just very silly in my eyes.

The kid can play. He would be a very good MVC guard in his time here.

Do you expect the Harrison twins to walk through that door? You have to remember/realize that this is SIU and the MVC.
HarrisburgSaluki
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

Postby Saluki3Peat95 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:50 pm

HarrisburgSaluki wrote:How do you know that HInson doesn't want to offer?

Making an offer public to a high school kid when you have none to give doesn't send the greatest message to your current team. Now, he may know that players are leaving so he continues to recruit Tyler. Things will get very interesting the week or two after the season is over.

The program is in complete disarray and a shell of it's former self, yet people are questioning the abilities of the 9th best point guard in the state of Illinois according to a respected site. It's just very silly in my eyes.

Do you expect the Harrison twins to walk through that door? You have to remember/realize that this is SIU and the MVC.

At the current state of the program, you can't expect the Duncan twins from Evansville Harrison to walk through the door.
Saluki3Peat95
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

Postby appleknocker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:32 pm

HarrisburgSaluki wrote:How do you know that HInson doesn't want to offer?

The coaching staff can't publicly discuss a kid at all, let alone announce they've offered, until he signs the letter of intent. That info generally comes from the player or "sources".

Scroll down to the grid here, http://salukitalk.net/st/index.php, and you'll see we've already got one more commit than available slots. So the message has been sent and it's, "buh, bye."
"Reality continues to ruin my life." Calvin
appleknocker
Josh Warren Poster
Josh Warren Poster

Postby HarrisburgSaluki » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Okay I'll check it out, thanks.

I wasn't aware of that. I follow a couple of my alma mater schools much more closely than I do the Salukis.

I hope all of you who hasn't seen him check out my Bulldogs when we play in Carbondale at the Super. Especially those that are skeptical yet haven't seen him play yet.
HarrisburgSaluki
Wesley Clemmons Poster
Wesley Clemmons Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting